Monday, August 4, 2008

Is Bush Batman?

I finally got a chance to see “Dark Knight” over the weekend and I thought it was above average. The movie was not the “end all” everyone kept telling me. But it’s been out awhile and I hadn’t heard anyone talk about what I took away from the movie.

The repeated theme was that a hero can live long enough to become the villain. And the word “terrorism” was used to describe the Joker’s evil. The Joker himself said his actions weren’t planned, rather a grand dose of chaos. He wanted society to be kept wondering and to force good men to do bad things. The unknown kept citizens in fear.

I don’t know if writer/director Christopher Nolan, or any of the actors, are pro-War on Terror or even Bush fans. However, the message was resoundingly loud and extremely clear to me. Bush was our hero in reaction to 9/11, just as Batman was a hero when he cleaned up the streets from organized crime. But as the War dragged on and innocents were being hurt, it became Bush, I mean, Batman’s fault.

Batman himself regretted the fact that to defeat terror he sometimes had to sacrifice. And it was a disappointing fact that he would have to take on the image of villain to succeed in his role as crusader.

The hero served long enough to become the villain.

No comments: